Position: School Law Attorney
Schott Bublitz and Engel s.c.
Description and Career Details:
Schott, Bublitz & Engel, s.c. is seeking an experienced, motivated attorney to represent and defend students’ rights in a variety of legal matters. The firm represents students from preschool through post-secondary. A substantial portion of our school work pertains to representing students with disabilities and special education needs, as well as students facing expulsion or disciplinary hearings.
The ideal candidate will have experience handling a range of school law matters, including Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, Section 504 meetings, mediations, due process hearings, state and federal court proceedings, disciplinary proceedings, and expulsion hearings. We do understand however that school law experience is rare. If you have no school law experience we ask you have a demonstrated interest in advocacy on the behalf of people with disabilities. Criminal or juvenile law experience would also be beneficial.
- The School Law Attorney will be responsible for:
- Communicating with potential clients and analyzing their school law matters
- Reviewing and analyzing records obtained from clients, schools, health care providers, and experts
- Communicating with clients, opposing counsel, medical providers, experts and consultants
- Researching and writing on a variety of school law matters
- Preparing a variety of written communications including emails, letters, memos and briefs
- Representing clients at a variety of meetings at schools, including special education eligibility meetings, IEP meetings, and Manifestation Determination Meetings
- Preparing for and representing clients at expulsion hearings, mediations, due process hearings and state and federal court proceedings as required
- Representing students in disciplinary and dismissal matters including hearings and appeals at colleges, universities, technical schools or other professional schools
- Representing clients in 504 meetings including eligibility, plan preparation and implementation issues
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the supervising shareholders
The attorney stepping into this role will initially share the firm’s school law caseload with one of the firm’s shareholders, an experienced professional with more than 26 years of school law experience. This is a busy practice, with a wide variety of school-related cases provided. Responsibility for the school law cases will ideally transition to this new attorney as this shareholder begins to transition toward a lighter caseload.
Schott, Bublitz & Engel, s.c. is an established, full-service law firm serving southeastern Wisconsin clients’ legal needs. Our current team of eight attorneys provides dedicated, tailored legal representation across a broad array of practice areas including civil litigation, business and corporate law, personal injury, real estate, school law, criminal defense, family law, estate planning, workers’ compensation and social security disability. Located near the Waukesha County Courthouse, the firm prides itself on providing a positive, collaborative environment where attorneys and staff members can learn and grow together in their legal careers.
- Active member in good standing of the Wisconsin bar
- Minimum of three years practice experience
- Demonstrated passion for and interest in advocacy for people with disabilities; candidates with special education law or school law experience preferred
- Motivated self-starter
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively through written and verbal means
- Excellent oral advocacy skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Minimum three years of experience; school law experience preferred
- Experience in criminal or juvenile law is beneficial but not required
- Juris Doctor from an ABA-approved law school
Compensation: Schott, Bublitz & Engel, s.c. offers a competitive compensation package including a 401(k) plan and profit sharing opportunity. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time