April Rockstead Barker
April Rockstead Barker handles commercial, civil and open records litigation in Wisconsin and Illinois state and federal courts. Ms. Barker has extensive experience in complex litigation and insurance coverage matters. In addition, Ms. Barker has represented clients both as local counsel and in conjunction with out-of-state counsel who were admitted pro hac vice.
Since graduating from Harvard Law School in 1995, Ms. Barker has successfully prosecuted and defended commercial contract and business tort claims; class actions; professional malpractice actions; defamation, slander and libel cases; real property and municipal disputes; and trust disputes. She frequently assists individuals and commercial clients with insurance coverage disputes and coverage denials and represents individuals and organizations pursuing open records requests. Ms. Barker also represents clients in administrative proceedings, and she is an experienced appellate advocate.
Early in her career, Ms. Barker also served as a staff attorney for a nonprofit law firm dedicated to serving indigent clients. In private practice, she has counseled and represented numerous animal welfare and animal rescue organizations in Wisconsin. Ms. Barker is also an active board member of Patches Animal Rescue, Inc., a non-profit companion-animal rescue organization based in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
Ms. Barker has written articles covering legal topics, including several that appeared in the Wisconsin Law Journal. She is a fellow in Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary trial and appellate lawyer society. Fellows are selected based on excellence and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, as well as superior ethical reputation.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- General Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Claims and Insurance Litigation
- Media Law and Open Records under Wisconsin Statutes §19.31 et seq
- Wisconsin, 1996
- Illinois, 1995
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- Should constitution define marriage?, Wisconsin Law Journal, November 1, 2006
- Class action law raises jurisdictional issues, Wisconsin Law Journal, March 23, 2005
- Antitrust case targets taverns, Wisconsin Law Journal, September 15, 2004
- Sanctions Under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11, Current Problems in Federal Civil Practice 1996, (Co-Author), PLI, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Pro Bono Activities
- Patches Animal Rescue, Inc., Board Member