Schott, Bublitz & Engel represents students on a wide range of school law matters in Wisconsin. We have a strong track record of helping defend student rights – whether it’s children in grades K-12 with special needs, post-secondary students with disabilities entitled to academic adjustments, or K-12 or post-secondary students with or without disabilities facing disciplinary proceedings or expulsion hearings.
We work to protect students’ right to fair treatment, and fight to enable them to stay in school to complete their education and obtain their degree. We will also defend them in municipal, state and federal courts when necessary.
In all areas of our school law practice, we focus on protecting student rights while helping parents understand and access appropriate services and resources that give their children the greatest opportunity to succeed.
Educational Resources & Services for Special Needs Children – Grades K-12
Understandably, parents want their children to have every opportunity to reach their full potential. But for students with special needs, it may be difficult to obtain the special education and related services to which they are entitled. We represent students with a wide range of disabilities including autism, learning disability, dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (ADD), emotional behavior disability (EBD), speech and language impairment, intellectual disability, hearing impairment and more, assisting families with issues such as:
- Obtaining special education services & a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) under the Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA)
- Representing students in Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings & manifestation determination hearings
- Obtaining reimbursement for private school placements
- Representing parents & students at mediation /due process hearings or in state & federal courts
- Protecting student rights under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act & the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
As a former special education teacher, Attorney Patricia N. Engel has earned a statewide reputation in school law matters and is uniquely qualified to represent student interests.
Disciplinary & Eligibility Issues – Grades K-12
If you are concerned about the potential impact of a disciplinary action or expulsion on your child’s future, we can help protect student rights in school disciplinary matters, including expulsion hearings. We have defended students referred to the municipal or criminal court system, as well as in other school issues, including:
- School records involving access, disputes & corrections
- Extra-curricular & Athletic Code violations
- Sports (WIAA) appeals & hearings including eligibility, residency & transfer provisions, disciplinary actions, sanctions
Disciplinary & Entitlement Issues – Post-Secondary & Professional
We have experience representing students when careers and futures are jeopardized due to actions that may impact the rights of students in a university, college, technical school or advanced professional degree program. We have fought for reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities and have defended students in a wide range of disciplinary and entitlement actions including:
- Academic probation & grade appeals
- Program dismissals, school suspensions & expulsions
- Code of Conduct violations including plagiarism & cheating
- Disciplinary actions in the classroom, clinical setting, lab or internship
Here are some of our satisfied school law clients. For a free initial phone consultation about a school law matter in Wisconsin, contact us today to speak with an attorney who has extensive experience in school law.